View Single Post
Old 10-20-2011, 10:43 AM
clem55

believe it or not, that is pretty much the way we were taught back then. Everything read was telling us how to be the perfect wife. For the first 20+ years, I tried so hard to be the perfect wife and mother, I ended with a nervous breakdown, and have been on anti-depressants for years. At the age of 40, my doctor told me to start putting myself and my wants first, he said if you don't want to clean the house, don't, if you want to read all day, do it. It was funny the first week I tried that. I managed not to clean or pick up anything all day, but the closer it got to his time to be home, the more nervous I got( he would not have said anything to me, it was just "me") I "flew " through the house to get it done before he got home. Now go forward to age 72. My hubby does it all , for me. He will clean, do laundry,grocery shops, does all the cooking, and I finally let myself do "just what I want , for me". We have a happy relationship, love each other probably even more now than we did 56 years ago. A very contented home with each other. PS.. I didn't teach my daughter the 50's way, nor my 3 sons!!