View Single Post
Old 10-20-2011, 02:23 PM
oksewglad
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mad Mimm

I don't necessarily think that will happen. Because regions are reflective of their own cultures, the demands will be different regardless of what is available on a global level. I think you will still have that regional flare and that it will be preserved. In addition, you also have the differences in actual technique. I receive a Norwegian quilting magazine and I am constantly amazed at the difference between what is popular there versus here in the states. (An example would be how sparsely they quilt their quilts compared to how heavily we tend to quilt here, and that is not solely due to hand versus machine quilting.) Sure we may be using the same or similar techniques, but we use them in different ways. I also see regional differences just in the quilt show photos from around the US, some are more heavily traditional and others lean more toward art quilts and more innovative techniques. (Of course, some of that could also be the personal tastes of the photographer.)

I think regional styles definitely exist, and I believe they will continue to do so regardless of the internet and international influences. We may see some styles echoed as those influences are reinterpreted, but I don't think we will lose those regional styles. At least I hope not; I believe they richly enhance quilting as a whole.
Mad Mimm-thanks for your well stated comments. I belong to a small rural quilt guild mostly women in their 60's and above. I am amazed at how many of them have to follow a pattern; they feel comfortable in following others guidelines in regards to design and fabric choices. This is the segment that will cause the lines to blurr, as they do not strike out on their own to create their quilts.
At the same time I beleive many quilters on this board are far more adventurous than my small quilt group.
That being said, I am constantly amazed at how quilters interpret their craft. Just look at our "Gallery" and the variety is endless.