Old 07-20-2009, 12:45 PM
MerryCrafty

Hi,
I'm a beginning quilter who has been sewing for about 9 months and quilting for about 5 months- I'm a newbie! But I'm already looking for an upgrade to my current sewing machine, a Kenmore 16231, which has already broken down twice in the 9 months I've owned it. :cry: I don't think it's up to daily sewing... I want something I can count on!

Could you please help me decide on a new machine that would be an upgrade, but cost no more than $700 - $800 at MOST? I haved looked at:

Janome DC 2010 - nice, but not much of a step up (My Kenmore is made by Janome, and I'm not too happy with it - will there really be enough of a difference to justify the new machine?)
Viking Emerald 118 (mechanical, but possibly more reliable than what I have?) and 183 (computerized, with lots more features)
Brother NX 250Q (quilter's edition) or others in the Innovis line (wide range of prices, not sure how powerful they are) (I guess there are similar Babylocks, like Designer's Choice?)
Pfaff Select 3.0 or 4.0 because of the IDT, but it's completely mechanical... (Doesn't have as many features, but is it good for quilting?)

I'm afraid the Berninas are out of my price range, as is the lovely Janome 6500 or 6600 that I'm so interested in for the future (tested it, beautiful! If I got the Janome DC 2010, I could upgrade from the lower level Janome to the 6500 or 6600 at that dealer later). Any advice appreciated. Help!

Thanks!