Old 10-20-2011, 06:44 PM
Sew'hio

Here is my first White.

A late 1940's Model 77, this is the heavy steel cast unit, not the lightweight 77MG mag. alloy cast.

The art deco lines, green color and crinkle finish really speak to me. I love to look at her and she sews great too. I love the sound and feel of turning on the light using the heavy toggle switch just under her arm. The wheel plating is still very nice and feels great in your hand. Independent settings for forward and backward stitch length, and a great little gearshift to throw it in forward or reverse. She has a forward facing bobbin, and a large cover plate that flips up for access. (My fingers are fat, so I still tip her back to change the bobbin.) The bobbin winder makes a nice solid sound when it finishes winding. I really like the knee control in her cabinet, its easier for me to control than a foot pedal. Plus to me, she looks great from every angle.

Her weakness? Well,.. she's a friction drive, so you can forget about going treadling with her. The 65 watt 110v (.7 amp?) friction drive motor works great, just no practical way to treadle. And her dials look very nice but,... they're plastic. I know, you can't tell by looking but the tension, forward, and reverse dials are all plastic. I still think she is a straight-stitch goddess.

A great post war example of a USA machine from Cleveland Ohio.

White Model 77 made in Cleveland Ohio
[ATTACH=CONFIG]274688[/ATTACH]

Friction drive works great
[ATTACH=CONFIG]274689[/ATTACH]

She doesn't have a bad side
[ATTACH=CONFIG]274690[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-274635.jpe   attachment-274636.jpe   attachment-274637.jpe