View Single Post
Old 10-20-2011, 07:01 PM
GrannieAnnie

Originally Posted by collady
A young friend who has just started quilting called to see if she and her cousin could come visit, so the cousin could see some of my quilts. I invited them with pleasure. As soon as they arrived, the cousin begin telling me what I had done wrong on one quilt after another. The colors didn't go together. The pattern wasn't right for the fabrics. The binding should have been a different fabric. The poor young quilter was dying in front of my face. She had wanted her cousin to see that there wasn't a specific "correct" way to make a quilt. Instead we were getting a lesson on all the "incorrect" things I was doing.
I am 62 years old and made my first quilt with my grandmother when I was 10. I stood and listened to this 20 something non quilter tell me what I was doing wrong.
When she finished, I very politely asked her how many quilts she had made. NONE, she just knew what was wrong with mine. She then made a comment that I probably didn't know how to design. That is when I opened the door to the store room and begin pulling out the evening and performance gowns I had made for my daughter when she was in pageants and completions. All of which I designed and made, hand beading and all.
That didn't stop her. She made some smart comment that I had probably used a pattern or bought them and removed the labels.
At this point my young friend grabbed her cousin by the arm and tried to drag her out of the house!
I told my friend she was welcome back at any time.
Then I turned to the cousin and politely told her that:
1. I started making my own clothes at the age of 5
2. I had a degree in costume design
3. I have been designing and sewing more that three times as long as she is old.
4. Rudeness is not a sign of intelligence, it is a sign of ignorance. 5. While her cousin was welcome to return to my home at any time, I hoped that I never had the opportunity to see her again!
I then gave my friend a hug and opened the door for the cousin, who left in a huff... I laughed and cried as they went to the car! I hope my friend comes back soon. I called her later and told her I didn't hold the cousin against her. We can't help to whom we happen to be related.
I think you handled the situation quite well. Hope the friend does come back.