Old 10-21-2011, 01:30 AM
carolaug

Call the company she use to work for. They should know...if not call a few of her old co workers. I use to do life insurance death claims...so important that your put the SS# of the person your benes and also the address of your benes...and if they move update your records and make sure they update them. If your family does not know about the policy the money go to the state not the estate...after 5 years once they find out if the person has died. You will not get money if the company that hold the money does not know that the person has passed away or if they know they have passed away but do not know the bene address. Life insurance money goes to the person on the claim...not the estate. They only way they will dicuss anything with you is if your name is on the claim. Also give a copy of the document to the person who will be rec'ing the money...not a friend or neighbor...people are weird when it comes to money...you may think a person is great and wonderful...but you never know...its amazing what people do...and sad. If you have a second family...make sure you see a lawyer to make sure your children will get the money also when you die...wills can be changed. My husbands famiy got nothing...his dad died first...all went to his stepfamily. We could care less but that was not his dad's wish...and its costly to fight...was not worth it...just think...he trusted his wife and stepchildren...HA