View Single Post
Old 10-21-2011, 05:37 AM
Gerbie

Originally Posted by JanTx
I know that we use our cameras to show off our work, but a note in another thread just solved a huge problem for me.

jaciqltznok wrote a suggestion about putting a HST quilt together, but the thing I'm holding on to is ... take a picture of it laid out, then sew.

THE PROBLEM is I'm working on a quilt for my husband - I have it laid out on a spare bed and keep it covered with some backing material. I take a few blocks at a time back to the sewing machine (have to go through the living room where he's sitting to get there) and then sew those few together. BUT I sewed 8 of them together WRONG. I can't remember how they go once I get to the sewing machine. Even though I picked them up very carefully - one set was right and the next set I've had to totally rip out. Now I'll take my camera back there with me, snap a shot, pick up those blocks, go and sew!

So ... what else do you use your camera for? This little hint just saved me on this particular quilt! (AND I should have thought of it myself!)
I have done this for years. I always use my camera to take a picture of how I lay the blocks out for the final quilt. It's funny how you can see where you have something wrong when you view it through the camera and can't seem to see it otherwise. I have my camera charging right now and am going this morning to my Church to lay the finished blocks out on the floor of the Fellowship Hall to see if I need more or have what I want already. Use that camera ladies, sure helps to rearrange things. Plus with my digital, I don't have to keep the shots permanently, or print out the pictures unless I want to.
Another thing I do is I make one block the way it needs to be currently a non traditional log cabin block, with all creams for several rows and creams are going vertically when used with the darks which are going horizontally. I keep the one correct block with me at the sewing machine, so I know I am putting the other blocks together correctly