Thread: What to do????
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2011, 05:50 AM
charity-crafter

I had a heart to heart talk with a young summer intern one year. It was so bad, she would come in to work looking like a street walker or she was going clubbing. High heels, skimpy skirts, revealing tops, makeup out the wazzoo. I was the only middle age woman working in the group and the rest were either younger or men who didn't want to confront her because she was a good looking girl they were afraid of sexual harrassment charges. They just ignored her, she'd be gone in 8 weeks anyway.

I grabbed her after the first week, pulled her into my office and explained that she was an attractive young woman but she needed to dress appropriately for work and nobody was going to tell her this fact. She proceeded to tell me I was just jealous of her looks, and I was old and fat. I just laughed at her and told her that becasue I was old and fat I could tell her the truth. I made a deal with her, the rest of the week-come in wearing jeans, t-shirt and tennis shoes like everyone else and see what happened.

At the end of her internship she thanked me for the advice because they started treating like a student and allowing her to learn things. Before they were afraid to be in a room with her alone.