View Single Post
Old 10-21-2011, 07:03 AM
happymrs

Originally Posted by JanTx
I know that we use our cameras to show off our work, but a note in another thread just solved a huge problem for me.

jaciqltznok wrote a suggestion about putting a HST quilt together, but the thing I'm holding on to is ... take a picture of it laid out, then sew.

THE PROBLEM is I'm working on a quilt for my husband - I have it laid out on a spare bed and keep it covered with some backing material. I take a few blocks at a time back to the sewing machine (have to go through the living room where he's sitting to get there) and then sew those few together. BUT I sewed 8 of them together WRONG. I can't remember how they go once I get to the sewing machine. Even though I picked them up very carefully - one set was right and the next set I've had to totally rip out. Now I'll take my camera back there with me, snap a shot, pick up those blocks, go and sew!

So ... what else do you use your camera for? This little hint just saved me on this particular quilt! (AND I should have thought of it myself!)
When doing this, as you mentioned, I have found, pinning the blocks together, where I want to sew them, then carry to my machine, & sew, seems to help too. My areas in my studio are back to back, & sometimes, even just holding them, turn around to sew, I have sewn the wrong sides of the seams together. So now, I pin them first & that has helped too.