View Single Post
Old 10-21-2011, 01:11 PM
MadQuilter
Power Poster

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
swap are only as good as the host.
Not sure I understand that comment. How can a host guarantee that the rules are followed?

I have participated in a few swaps and enjoyed most. However, it is amazing how the rules seem to be interpreted by some participants. Prewashing fabric, size of block, craftsmanship.... AND I am NOT talking about a newbie who is trying her best. In this example, I am talking about someone who whacked off a few hunks of fabric and slapped them together. I was surprised she used thread and not staples. The rules state that we cannot make negative comments in a swap - so at the time, I just took note to never work with that person again. In general, I think the swaps are fun. You tend to get a lot of nice blocks.

As for Robins, I've been in a row robin and a round robin.

On both robins, it was a good challenge because it made me broaden my horizon. The row robin is a little easier because you always work with the same size block (word of advice: always measure the row first!)

The round robin grows as you work on each one in succession. I was in a great group. Everyone did wonderful work and I am soooooo pleased with my top. Other groups were not so lucky for a variety of reasons.
One thing I learned for me: Never send out a center for a robin that you are emotionally attached to. If someone messes up or if your top gets lost, you will be heartbroken.