View Single Post
Old 10-21-2011, 03:03 PM
Mad Mimm

Originally Posted by bearisgray
I was agreeing with you until you got to your comment about JoAnns or WalMart.

Your suggestions of what to look for in a "good quality fabric" are excellent.

Experience is wonderful - I don't think there is a short-cut around it - your suggestions of what to look for are a good place to start from.

However - I have found SOME wonderful fabrics at WalMart that I would compare favorably to some of the so-called "better" lines. I've also gotten SOME LQS fabrics that were a disappointment to me. I have also gotten selective after over 50 years of buying fabric!

I have never noticed a selvage that says "WalMart Fabric" - any more than I have noticed a "WalMart Brand Toaster"

WalMart and JoAnn both carry several types of fabrics. So it is necessary/helpful to buy something that is suitable for the purpose intended. I think it is unreasonable to knock the store for carrying a fabric (or other item) that was not appropriate for something I intended to use it for - and I was dumb enough (or uninformed enough) to buy it. Or too "cheap" to buy some of the "better" lines available.

Most LQS do carry a much greater selection to choose from - but even with many bolts to choose from - sometimes one has to go to another store to find the last "perfect" piece for a project. (One of the excuses to have a stash!)

Back to the OP question:

Depending on the LQS you go to, you should be able to get some nice fabrics in the $8.00 to $10.00 price range. If there are several shops near you, it might be worth the time and effort to visit them all and compare prices.
Your point is taken. I have not had the good fortune to find fabric I like at Joann, and have not had the bad fortune to get poor fabric from my LQS. I shop at my LQS because I like the quality of their fabric but also because prefer to support local businesses (a fact which I omitted from my previous post). I try to wherever I can, whether it is fabric or car repairs. Just my personal preference. I am not knocking Joann or Walmart or anyone who chooses to shop there. I am only speaking to my personal experience. I have found their fabrics, as a rule, not of the quality I like. But I do appreciate your point of view and thank you for sharing it.