View Single Post
Old 10-21-2011, 05:54 PM
MacThayer

When I was growing up (which was a while ago) all we ever did was hand quilting. They didn't have long arm quilting back then. They didn't even "stitch in the ditch". The quilt was either tied or it was "properly quilted". I sure wish I'd had an Aunt Becky's finger saver then! I used to use a thimble and push the needle through with my thumb. (I was a child, and then a teen. The thimble fit on my thumb.) My Mother and Great Grandmother, who taught me how to quilt, made leather thimbles for her own thumbs. I thought it was relaxing, but sometimes boring. I liked it better when we had "quilting bees" and there was a whole lot of women working on the same quilt. It was a badge of honor to be a child and be allowed to work the quilt with the women.

A few years ago, my husband and I were visiting friends, and were planning to go out for dinner. The gentleman from the other couple went to put on his evening shirt, and found that a seam had come apart. I said: "No, problem, I can fix that right up for you." They didn't have a sewing machine, but they did have needle and thread. So I stitched the seam shut. I remember him looking at it in awe. "Where did you learn to sew such perfect straight, perfectly equal, little stitches?" he asked. Well, then my secret was out!

Now that I'm retired from a grueling career, and routine 60-70 hour weeks, I am back to quilting. I don't know how to LAQ. I do want to learn, and am learning. But it's amazing how easy it is for me to pick up a needle and thread and quilt away on some small project I'm making while Hubby watches TV (I don't watch, but he enjoys it, and I enjoy being with him). However, I've been told, by my nieces and nephews, and now grandnieces and grandnephews, (and they are such experts on what is in fashion) that hand quilting is "old fashioned", so if I send them something, they want it machine quilted. However, my sisters and brothers do not see it this way, and welcome all hand quilting.

As soon as I finish this post, I'm going to order one of the finger protectors from Connecting Threads (one of my most favorite stores -- love, love, love their fabric clearance section -- great fabric for great prices).

You aren't the only one who still likes to hand quilt. We're still out here!