View Single Post
Old 10-21-2011, 09:06 PM
Dolphyngyrl

I think bernina is the only all metal, most other brands have plastic parts, you need to go higher end in the other brands for more metal parts, the more expensive it is , the more metal parts it should have. Bernina's are very expensive, you should be able to find some nice janomes, brothers, babylocks, or pfaffs in the 1000-1200 range, which are well built and will last you and won't nearly cost you as much as a bernina. You just have to shop around. I have the babylock espire which cost me 1800 almost 2 years ago. haven't had any problems with it. It is a little work horse, I know the janome 6600 go for about 1400 people seem to love those. Whatever you buy just make sure its what you really want it is a big investment that will last you many years. Some of the straight stitch machines are heavy duty and cheaper if you don't do applique they might be more suited to your needs like the brother PQ1500s or the janome 1600P I think it is. These are about 800-900 I believe, and are more heavy duty than cheaper models. Just avoid the lower end models for heavy duty. Although don't discount them for piecing. I have used my cheapo brother for piecing for many years as well as classes, but I know their purpose is not heavy duty. I even quilted my first quilt on my cheapo brother purchased in 93, my MIL sewed on it last week.