Old 10-21-2011, 09:19 PM
MacThayer

I am in the process of restoring 3 quilt tops that were left unfinished by my beloved Great Grandmother, who taught me much about quilting. She had quilted and tatted her entire life, and I thought she could do no wrong. The quilts tops looked so beautiful to me. It was only when I started to get into the nitty gritty of replacing frayed or worn through patches that I realized the quilt tops were not perfect, they had flaws! And there were things she had done to cover up the flaws. I never would have found them if I hadn't started taking the quilt tops apart. Boy, have I learned a ton about hiding flaws! Great Grandma Thayer was 93 when she died. That's decades and decades of quilting, and she still had flaws.

Life is a process of creating yourself, making yourself into the kind of person you want to be. It's not about "finding" yourself, because there is nothing to "find". You have to create it. That takes work. I know I will never make "the perfect quilt". That doesn't stop me from trying! Everything I make is just that much better than the last thing I made. And I work hard, very hard, to keep that improvement moving along. As long as I can see progress, I am satisfied. Can you move yourself into that mind frame?