View Single Post
Old 10-21-2011, 09:47 PM
Flying_V_Goddess

Originally Posted by Patti Mahoney
I want to start my next project but I don't know anything about what Brands of fabric to buy. What are some of the better Brand names, reasonably priced, about $8.00-10.00 a yard. I should be able to get some pretty nice fabric for that price, right???
Yes! You'll find lots of fabrics between the $8-$10 range.

As far as what the better name brands would be...hard to say in my opinion. I remember a discussion on here about how---because of the rise in cotton prices---some fabric companies were putting out fabrics that were of a lesser quality than what they typically put out. When I check out a fabric that's of a questionable quality (and someone may disagree with me on this) I ask myself, "Would my bed sheets make better quilting fabric than this?" (for the record, my sheets aren't expensive) and if I say "yes" I don't buy it.

I know you said you don't like shopping online, but I wanted to point out Missouri Star Quilt Co. has reasonably priced fabric on their website. Off the top of my head, only a handful of their fabrics were---I think--- $10/yard and most of those had been extra wide backing fabrics. And the quality of their fabric is not "cheap".