View Single Post
Old 10-22-2011, 05:23 AM
thepolyparrot

Originally Posted by virgwid
I think the two sizes were 80*20 and 90*14. Which size do I use? What do the numbers mean? If those aren't the right sizes, what is?
8020 is Singer's numbering for the standard 15x1 machine needle. Other numbers you might see for this same needle are HAx1, 705, 130 and others. This denotes the needle system.

The retail stores don't usually carry many needles that don't belong to this system other than a couple of serger needle systems. They will have sharps for woven fabrics, (no special designation) ball points for knits (BP) and so-called "universal" needles which (in theory) can be used on wovens or knits.

Needle sizes are usually included on the packaging in both the European and Asian sizes - ie: 90/14, 65/9, etc.

You choose the needle based on the thread size that you're using. Very fine threads will need the smallest diameter needles - 65/9.

60 & 70wt threads will use a 70/10 or a 75/11, 50 & 40wt threads will use a 75/11, 80/12 or 90/14.

Sometimes the fabric or effect will weigh more heavily in choosing the needle than the type of thread you're using. For denim, for instance, you need a heavier needle than for quilting cottons - even though you might be using the same thread for both projects.

Hope that made sense. :)

Which foot that came with the machine (a metal one) do you suggest I use?
My favorite quilting/darning foot looks like it will last about ten minutes, but I've never broken one, yet - it costs all of $3: http://shop.sew-classic.com/Low-Shan...t-SCF55417.htm