View Single Post
Old 10-22-2011, 12:11 PM
pscott392

Originally Posted by MacThayer
I have my sewing machine, iron and a nearby lamp on a surge protector, and I automatically shut it off when I'm not using them. Is that enough?

In fact, practically everything in this house is on a surge protector. We were hit by lightening a few years back, and even though the house was properly grounded, the lightening was so close, it blackened an outside and inside wall, blew a wall lamp off the wall, and fried every electronic we had plugged in, even if it wasn't on, except for a couple things like the fridge and range which had built in surge protectors. And I mean every electronic! My husband had a home office, and that meant his fax, copier, scanner, and 2 computer were history. We lost every TV in the house, and a whole bunch of other stuff. Even the blow dryer for my hair blew up. You can see why we use surge protectors now!

I remember when it hit. This shock of electricity hit me, knocked me down, and my hair stood on end. Scared the heck out of the dog. It wasn't funny. And I never leave the house with anything running: dryer, dishwasher, TV, nothing.

If anyone knows if turning off a surge protector would prevent a fire, I'd love to know.
If you turn off your surge protector, it will no longer protect the items you have plugged into it. It has to be left on in order to protect the items plugged in. That's what the circuitry inside it is supposed to do. If you're going to purchase a surge protector, try to get one with the best dollar amount coverage - but be sure to send in your warranty card. Otherwise, you won't be covered if the surge protector doesn't do it's job. Also, don't turn off your items using the switch on the surge protector. Turn off the item itself. Turning the surge protector on to turn on your equipment sends too much electricity at once and will damage your equipment. Ask me how I know.