Old 10-22-2011, 03:22 PM
vintagemotif

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by purplefiend
I'm picking up a set of straight leg Singer treadle irons tomorrow, it looks like its all there. My current Singer treadle like this is missing a bolt.

The irons are $15! :-D

http://austin.craigslist.org/atq/2609205647.html

Sharon W.
That's a great deal! Are you switching them out, or just swapping the bolt.
Mostly swapping the bolt, don't know what else. It depends on what condition they're in.
The irons are in very good condition, only missing the belt shifter. I may just swap the irons out and take the belt shifter off the irons that is missing the bolt.
The man that sold them to me does a beautiful job of refinishing cabinets and machines. Lots of eye candy. He has a White Rotary in a twiggy cabinet and also a New Home in a twiggy cabinet. He is a woodworker and has replaced parts of the cabinets with new wood. Its just amazing what he's done with them. He repaints the treadle irons too. I was afraid that he might have been one of those nitwits that makes tables from the treadle irons and trashes the rest. I'm so relieved that he doesn't do that.
I may have him repair my oldest Singer coffin top, part of it is in poor condition and won't hold up the hinged piece on the right side.[/quote]

You're lucky to have someone close by that refinishes cabinets. That's a lot of work in my opinion, but I know for someone like Glenn it's just part of the hobby- not mine.

I would swap out the treadles if the one is better than the other.

Post pictures of your finished work.