View Single Post
Old 10-23-2011, 02:31 PM
Candace

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by bannie
Thanks How often would the cleated belt wear out? Is that a something that rarely happens? bannie
I'm crossing my fingers that it NEVER happens Candice says it does. She posted earlier it was a b*tch to replace. You probably have to have the stars align up just so and hold your mouth a certain way and pray a whole bunch as you go. I sure don't want anything to get on it. The rubber belt not so much. I'm toying with the idea of treadling this one it does have a very nice table though.
Actually, mine didn't wear out. I've got the original one. I made the stupid mistake of removing the gear it was on to try and clean the gear. Getting it back on was not fun at all! I don't recommend it:>

As for your stitch length regulator..lift it up and look inside the machine. Is the bar bent? When I was refurbishing my black 319, I noticed that my stitch length was really small and I couldn't get the 6 to 8 stitches per inch (basting length) even though my stitch length knob was all the way down. I fussed and kept playing with the feed dogs, I retimed it...nothing. Finally, I had an aha moment and looked up inside the machine. Somewhere in its travels it got bumped very hard and the bar was actually bent. I gently(and crossed my fingers not knowing if it would snap), hammered the bar upwards lightly a few times and straightened out the bar. This allowed it to lower all the way down to the 6-8 inch level and it's fixed now:> I think I like refurbishing these machines because they're big puzzle boxes!