View Single Post
Old 07-22-2009, 10:09 AM
Lisanne

Here's a site with links to pincushon tutorials, though I didn't pedestal pincushion tutorials.
http://tipnut.com/22-free-pincushion-patterns/

I googled on "pedestal pincushion tutorials" and results come up, but not what you're lookiing for that I can see. One blog page has a link to HGTV for pedestal pincushions, but searching the HGTV website brings up no results.

One of the quilting books I read says you want wool as filler because the lanolin in it helps keep the needles from rusting or something. The little strawberry things on the classic tomato pincushions are filled with emery, the book says, to sharpen your pins against. Who knew?

Since reading the book, I'm interested in making a pincushion, too. The book says you want to keep pins in a pincushion rather than jumbled together in a container, because they rub on each other and cause burrs to form. My last pincushion became irretrievably dusty, and nowadays all I see are those boring tomato ones. My LQS has some darling ones that look like little hillocks mounted on a square of wood, but they use them in the store, they don't sell them.

Hope my links at least get you started, and then perhaps you'll make one and post a picture. I may, too. :-)