View Single Post
Old 10-23-2011, 04:42 PM
nancia

i am surprised at the people who think they know good fabric and really don't. i have found quiltshop quality fabric at walmart, and crummy fabric at lqs. if you don't know the difference, don't knock it! learn about fabric, thread, weaves, etc. i don't mind buying fabric anyehere i find what i'm looking for. personally, i like a broadcloth solids, or calico print. i love the smoothness of shirting and poplin. i do not like a thick cotton just this side of canvas. i don't want my quilt to weigh 40 lbs. if the quilt is going to a child (including babies) i like a little polyester in the blend for it to last. i have several quilts made by my dgm and they are of every fabric she could get during the war, and pieces were pieced. when did we become such snobs. this pushes my hot buttons! i use good quality fabric, and on this board, in swaps, i use 100% cotton, with one exception. i pm'd the recipient and explained my mistake and she assured me it was fine. i was much more careful to do burn tests after that.
i have been in one boomerang--loved it, even tho' some did not return blocks or f8's, and some were of odd sizes, etc. still had enough blocks to make 2 quilts. and had a great time with good people and lots of eye candy! i have swapped doll quilts 3 times, and have loved the experience and feel very special feelings for my partners. and i am in my second Quilting in the new year swap, and again, wonderful partners! i'm new to quilting, but not new to sewing. frankly, if i'd read this thread before i would have been scared to try any of them!! if you are going to try your best, you have nothing to apologize for. if you aren't going to be happy no matter what, keep to yourself. disappointments happen even with the best of intentions. it's how YOU deal with it that says the most about YOU. (generic you). it has been great fun, great people, and great rewards. i hope you will try some swaps. see what you like and the kind of expectations are reasonable.