Old 10-23-2011, 10:01 PM
Gerbie

Originally Posted by MsEithne
Originally Posted by JanTx
Anyone else use "Cotton picking" as a negative comment? "That cotton picking dog got into the trash again!" I grew up with this and never thought about how strange that is until I was reading this thread! :)
It's a class/status insult; someone so poor they had to pick cotton was regarded with disdain, particularly if a person of colour or a migrant worker.
That being said, so is the phrase "Oil Field Trash" as are so many other class status insults which could refer to many types of working people. I was born and raised here in Texas in the oil field area, with my dad working in the oil field and he always made a good living for his family. I never did then nor do I now consider myself or my family or any of the people who worked or are still working in the oil field as "trash". But I guess that the people who lived in large cities and worked in offices and didn't really get "dirty", must have thought that they were above any of us or a little better I guess would be another way of putting it. I was always raised and taught that if anyone worked and made an Honest day's wages, no matter what type of work it was or is, they should never be put down in any way. So many people take so much for granted and never think of where things actually come from or the workers who perform the work and how difficult it is for various products to be produced. O.K. off my soap box for now, not indending to offend anyone, but I felt that this just had to be said. We should never verbally abuse or be little someone because of the type of job that they have or perform. Those who are able to work are doing so to make a living for themselves and their families. I really feel so sorry for all of the people who are out of work at this time and who are not able to get a job, prayers that thngs will soon turn around for all of them.