View Single Post
Old 10-24-2011, 12:04 AM
Gerbie

I grew up in a small town just over 100 miles East from where I now live, I wasn't born there but moved there when I was 3 mo. old. We (parents, brother and I) always came to Pecos on the 4th of July to the Rodeo each year. Never dreamed I would ever live here. DH was born and raised in a small town 100 miles South of us where DD now lives. DS lives over 500 miles away - too far, between San Antonio & Austin.
I lived in my home town until age 15, and moved with parents and brother to Ky., because of Dad's oil business. Lived in 2 small towns in Ky. for 2 years, graduated from High School in the town, where my ex SIL & oldest Niece now live. Moved with family in 1961 to W. Va. started to college there and lived in that small town for 7 years, moved back to Tx. with parents in 1968. Met DH in 1968 when we were both working for Pennzoil Sulphur Co. near a small town that is 54 miles from us. DH was transfered to Pecos in 1969, I was transfered here in 1970. We married Aug. of 1970, both children born and raised here, we are still here in Pecos 41 years later. So we are both about 100 miles away from where we grew up. Both of us are native Texans. I'm retired form 25 years of teaching Elem. school, and DH is still working,but now as Asst. county Auditor, after a semi retirement when Pennzoil closed property here. You may not always be where you want to be, but I don't know where I had rather be, work has kept us here, our home has long ago been paid for, and we know so many here - small town. I wouldn't trade being back home in Texas for anything. I never plan to leave again at least not while still living.