View Single Post
Old 10-24-2011, 08:40 AM
grann of 6

Originally Posted by Tropical
I have washed my red Cozy flannel from JoAnn's and it shrank four inches. Ok so far. I carefully ironed it making sure not to stretch it. I cut squares and made Friendship Star blocks that I squared as I went along. Again ok. Now that I want to stitch them together, they are no longer square. One side is either shorter or longer than the rest. So what happened? I was careful when I pressed, Not ironed them. I know flannel has give and stretches a bit.

Now for my questions. Am I asking too much of the flannel by trying to piece it? Am I not doing something I should do? Or doing something I shouldn't? Maybe I should just forget trying to make pieced blocks out of flannel. I really do love flannel though and would like my baby quilts to have personality, not just plain blocks.

Please help! :)
STARCH STARCH STARCH. And press, don't iron. In other words, don't slide the soleplate of the iron on the blocks; this will cause stretching. When I use flannel for quilting I use a minimal number of pieces and try not to have biases.