View Single Post
Old 10-24-2011, 12:10 PM
susaninmd

Very sorry to hear of your misfortune, but VERY glad no one was hurt. Hope your kitty is OK too!

You are so right about cheapy extension cords!

If you live in a lightning prone area [face it who doesn't] or have frequent power outages, these cords can catch fire from the power surges and brown outs that accompany them. And believe me there is no warning for power surges as we all sleep sometime!

Most appliances state not to use an extension cord because they can quickly overheat even when they don't appear to be in use.

There are plenty of high quality fairly inexpensive surge protectors and 3-prong appliance extension cords at Home Depot, and they are worth the investment.

Remember that surge protectors need to be monitored. Its easiest to do this on a model that has a light to show when the protection is getting low.

Thank you for thinking of the rest of us in your time of tragedy: you are most kind.

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
I've just had a house fire because of a stupid $2 extension cord. I had 2 things plugged into it that were not in use and it fried. I probably have close to $100k in damages because of this.

Please, please, please, go around your homes and get rid of those cords and replace either with strips or 3 prong cords. You really don't want what has transpired happening, this is not fun at all. I've lost both of my machines in this, tons of my notions and fabrics. Some I can't even find! Disintegrated!!! All my projects, gone! Pressies, gone!

We lucked out that we were home when it happened or I would not have a house. That is not worth a $2 item on any budget.

Please keep yourself and your families safe!!!! Especially with the holidays coming, everyone uses those cords. Don't! Please.