Thread: Gifting
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2011, 02:11 PM
FroggyinTexas

I belong to several sewing groups, including two quilt guilds. Each year at Christmas we exchange handmade gifts, although I confess that the most useful gift I have received was a pair of small Fiskars. I have given what I thought were lovely gifts and can honestly say that at no time did the recipient share my enthusiasm for them.

At first, my feelings were hurt, but then I remembered what my grandmother said about things that had been lost or had been given to people who didn't appreciate them. "Bless them and let them go," she said.

Having remembered that, I have tried to act on those words of wisdom, not always successfully. But as the gifting season begins anew, I intend to make a real effort to give what I give because I think it is a great gift and if the recipient doesn't like it, I'll bless it and not feel bad if she regifts it, sells it at a garage sale, gives it to a thrift store or wraps the dog in it.

Of course, I might think she's an idiot for not keeping it! But I'll be careful not to say that to anyone except my furbabies, who have promised they will never tell. froggyintexas