Old 10-24-2011, 07:11 PM
mpeters1200

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by mpeters1200
Quick Question...

I know there are a lot of clones of the 15 out there. Are they just as good as the Singer 15's? I am just trying to keep a look out for a 15 so I can FMQ on it. I've read here in the shop that it's easier to FMQ on the 15's than the 66's...but I haven't tried either for myself yet.

So you VSM owners that have both reg and clone 15's, what are your opinions?

Thank you,

Melissa
They are GREAT machines! Watch to make sure the dogs drop tho, some don't.
That's the problem I have with the 66. The dogs don't drop. The VSMG I got explained that you just unscrew them and take them off. I'm so GLAD that I talked about it here first. I don't know who was first to post what a bad idea that would be, I think I had 12 or 13 responses with instructions NOT to do that, so I didn't. Thanks to a singer parts site posted here, I'll be able to get a darning plate for it. Course, I'll have to get a FMQ foot for it too and I need a new bobbin case for my mom's FW before I can get her going. I know NIL about any machine, let alone these vintage ones, so I'm still learning. Someone I trust that owns the same FW I have looked at it. She's always done her own maintenance and repair on her FW and her's sews like a dream. She says nothings wrong with it except the bobbin case is missing. I don't know how that happened, but it did so now I have to replace it.

I know there is a 15-90 and a 15-91. I think the 91 is the one people talk about here at the shop all the time. Is the difference that one is electric and one isn't? And if I understand your response right, some of the clones are good at FMQ, but not all drop the dogs, correct?

I don't know if I'd recognize a 15 clone if it fell on my foot, but I've spent tons of time reading through all 1750 pages, but I started back before we hit the 1000 mark. Then there are 25 pages, I think, on the VSMS photo thread and drooling over all those machines. I'm probably still a year or two out from acquiring a 15. I think hubby would have a stroke if I came home with a 4th. I have a little janome I piece with now. I'll probably switch to the FW once I get her going. Then the 66 for straight stitch quilting. Hoping to try FMQ on it before I find a 15, but who knows what will happen between now and then.

Certainly emptying my change in my jug every night so I can save up for her! Took me 13 months of change to save up for the 66, but that wasn't a planned purchase. That was my quilting budget for the whole darn year!

At least while I wait I am learning all I can here about the machines I have already. I will be finished with the last top for my christmas projects by Tuesday of next week, so I'll have a ton of time to practice on the 66 the straight line quilting since that's what I bought her for. I'm so excited! :)