Old 07-23-2009, 07:07 AM
Lisanne

As I've posted elsewhere, I'm a new quilter making a sampler quilt to build my skills. I've stalled on my very first block because I can't find the right solid color of yellow-orange (think school buses, #2 pencils or Crayola crayon boxes) in 100% cotton. I had found the exact color, thought it was cotton but it began melting when I tried to iron it.

I have a more yellowy shade that's all cotton, but it just doesn't look right, I don't want a print, and I cannot find this shade in cotton. I'm tired of searching and want to get back to quilting.

So...

I can always set the iron to a lower temperature, but what other problems would there be if I used this synthetic blend fabric in an otherwise all cotton quilt top? Will there be a problem with laundering? What are the reasons people avoid synthetics in quilting?

This fabric would only be used in small quantities in 2-3 of my sampler blocks. (One example is the drawing I'm using as my avater for the moment.) The weave is indistinguishable from the cotton fabrics that would be in the blocks with it.