Old 10-25-2011, 04:27 AM
SuzieQuilts

Twenty five years ago I bought my first Bernina, a 930. I still have it and still like to sew on it. Five years ago my husband surprised me at Christmas with a 440, BSR, and embroidery. Love the BSR, but do not use the embroidery enough to say get it. Five years later, if my 440 went away and only had the 930, I would miss the ease of appliquing with it. the ease of sewing, and the BSR. The throat space is limiting. My advice to you, if you have been sewing on a Bernina that long, don't waste your time looking at other brands, obviously there was something about a Bernina that kept you loyal all of this time, and you are not going to find it anyplace else. My reason was the customer service and the trouble free sewing. When my husband decided I needed a new machine, he went right to the Bernina dealer I dealt with for 20 years, never thought to look at another Brand, he knew he could not go wrong with a Bernina. Focus on what model and what features you are really going to use. There is a huge price difference between the 820 and 830 but you can not go back and add embrod. later. It will give you the space for quilting. They are closing out 440s, maybe you can get a good deal, that is how I got my 930. Are you going to use the embroidery? Huge added cost? Do you need all of the bells and whistles of the 800 series? Is free motion quilting in your future? Then get one with a BSR, Good luck.