Old 10-25-2011, 06:45 AM
mpeters1200

Nancy, Glenn and Charlee,

Thank you for your responses. It sounds like the belt motors are easier to deal with. I'm still leary about not really knowing what I'm looking for. The tension on the faceplate is a really good tip. I'm hoping to find one that runs good or doesn't need a lot of work. It seems like people in this area are really in the know about how popular vintage machines are right now. CL is full of "antique" sewing machine offers for 250.00 and up!

Someday, when we don't live in a 2 bedroom apartment, I'll be able to start securing tables for these ladies!

I want to practice piecing on the 66, but I haven't found the accurate 1/4 seam yet. I have a screw on seam guide like what Glenn has. I think I'm going to change it to the narrower foot, then measure, then put the seam guide on and see if that helps it. I won't be piecing anything new until after the new year, so I won't worry about it for a little while. Need to make my Christmas list so hubby knows what parts and accessories I need.

Oh, on thread. I'm learning about the different weights on thread and stuff. I know not to use hand quilting thread in my little Janome, could I use it in the 66? Someone gifted me two HUGE spools of it and I doubt I'll live long enough to quilt that much purple thread by hand.

Do most other types of thread sew good in a VSM? I would rather not create an environment that requires me to adjust the tension. I'm still really scared of that knob!