Old 10-25-2011, 07:29 AM
vintagemotif

[quote=BoJangles]
Originally Posted by Suzy

Monica, do you ever have trouble with your stitch when you bind a big quilt? I just got done binding a Queen/King size quilt (100 x 112) on my Betty (Davis Vertical Feed) and I had to go around twice. I couldn't get the stitches to stay uniform. I think because the quilt is so heavy it was pulling too much. I kept taking it off to see if my stitch regulator was messed up - it quilted fine on scraps - but, the big quilt had good stitches then bunched up stitches. This happens everytime I quilt a very large quilt. I don't have that problem when I use my Pfaff 1222e and it has to pull the same way? I'm thinking because it does not have feed dogs that the quilt is a little less stable under the foot?

Nancy
Nancy, My one Davis does that from time to time. Could be numerous situations: either pulling of fabrics, time for more oil, or behind the cover plate all those metal gears needs a good cleaning. Directions on taking the items apart to clean can be found on the Yahoo Davis VF site. I haven't done that yet. I was told to clean the machine, and after cleaning I would be surprised at how much better it stitches and sounds.