Old 10-25-2011, 10:00 AM
redmadder

I had an odd encounter at a yard sale this weekend. I always ask if they have an old sewing machine to sell. A lady who was helping said she did and gave me her number to call later. My cousin and I called and went to her house. She led me to a Singer 15. I started to look it over and she left me to call the sewing machine guy that works on her stuff to see what it was worth. Huh?

It had no feet or accesories, a potted motor, the foot pedal had been replaced with a modern wedge but that cord was so bad rubber was falling off the wires. The decals were not in that great a shape. No case, no cabinet, just short of being a boat anchor.

After a couple of minutes I went looking for her. She was still talking to the guy asking, is that for selling to an individual? Hmmmm. Then she hangs up and asks me what I thought it was worth. Told her some people give them away, you see them at yard sales for 15 or 25 dollars depending on the condition and maybe $65.00 if they are in perfect working order and good decals. Well, she said, I'd sell it for $25. I said I'd think about it and thanked her for letting me see it.

Ya'll think this was as weird and uncomfortable as I did?