Old 10-25-2011, 10:49 AM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by miriam
Moving on to my next problem child machine. I have a 15 clone. Some times it goes 1 or 2 stitches and snaps the thread then if I'm lucky it will go 3 inches and snap. SO I re-threaded left to right and right to left... which ever - one of them doesn't work. Then I played with the upper threading - I think I've had everything right from the start. I put in a new needle - experimented with which way it goes. I had it right. I played with the tension. Then I swapped a face plate off another machine. It is not tension. It is not threading. It is not the needle. Then I took out the bobbin hook. I polished it with a crumpled up piece of aluminum foil just to make sure there aren't any burrs. Still snaps thread. I took off the presser foot. The needle does not hit the plate but it comes close. That needle hole looks like a star from all the needle hitting going on. I'm wondering if it is tearing up the thread at that spot. I can't seem to see it happen. I left my long screw driver at the shop and the screw is in too tight to get with a skinny little Susy Homemaker screw driver. I was thinking maybe pull the plate and swap it out with the other clone or maybe polish it up a bit - stuck until I come up with some other brilliant idea. The Singer manual I found on line does not match my machine. I wonder if I need a service manual to figure out how to center the needle a bit better in the hole. That needle all but hits the hole.
Miriam I have the same problem with the 15 clone I got recently. I am still fiddling with it between other projects.
I found a service manual and it was very helpful. http://parts.singerco.com/IPinstManuals/15-91.pdf
It even has motor info. I found the adjustment hole and am waiting for DH to come home. I found a screw driver to fit the space. I cut my finger tip pretty bad - it sure did bleed. Bummed out for working on anything for a few days though.