Old 10-25-2011, 12:56 PM
Cre8tvlwyr

... We belong to the same Sylvia Bridal Sampler group. All quilters I know are living in the US LOL
Do you speak Dutch? My late husband was from Den Haag too! I live in the Eastern part, near the German border.[/quote]

Sylvia's Bridal sampler is an Elm Creek quilt based on Jennifer Chiaverini books right?? As I recall it also has teeny little squares - although nothing is as complex as 'nearly insane!!' [the blocks are larger - 6" - but a few have around 200 pieces]

I speak Dutch fluently - surprisingly because my dad died in 1967, Mom in 2008, one brother of pancreatic cancer in 2000 and the other one who is 74 doesnt speak Dutch often. My husband is American and two adult kids [and 3 grandsons] wished I had taught them dutch - now I do too - suppose it is never too late. I try to write dutch when communicating with my cousins. They sometimes laugh, but usually are quite proud considering I never had a day of formal Dutch [or otherwise] education. I just think Dutch is spelled pretty much the way it sounds while the English language has so many silent letters and diphthongs.

I have one cousin in Deventer - used to live in Groningen, a cousin in Eindhoven, a couple near Leidschendam and Rotterdam and distant relatives around Nijmegen. My Dad was one of 17 [who rarely spoke to each other - surname Ruivenkamp] so I'm sure I have many relatives I dont know at all.