View Single Post
Old 10-25-2011, 02:32 PM
MsEithne

Originally Posted by glassnquilts
I entered three of my art quilts in a local small town show. There were 200 quilts and I did not expect to win, but the judge's comments were very critical of my binding. Very little was even said about the quilts themselves. I know it is a small town and maybe more traditional but it has really hurt my self confidence in my quilting. Anyone else had this experience.
Was the judge from this town? Because if s/he is from somewhere else, then that would reflect the values of the somewhere else.

Also, how long did the judge have to judge the entire show? At two minutes per quilt, that would be 6 hours and 40 minutes. That's not a whole lot of time to get an overall view, evaluate design, colour choices, execution, etc, and then make a critique. Since nothing was said about anything but binding, I'd guess that was the only weak point.

In any case, binding is pretty easy to fix. It's easy enough to cut out a bunch of mug rug or potholder sized practise pieces and bind them to perfect your skill.