View Single Post
Old 10-25-2011, 10:59 PM
desertrose

Originally Posted by quiltingcurious
What is WM? It's very encouraging to hear how you've done several full sized quilts on your 301.
If you do another, it would be great to see your technique.
Are you talking about the cloth kind with rubber dots on the palms?
Did you lower your feed dog. I first did that but it seemed to be better with the feed dog up.
What did you put your stitch regulator on? I put it on the lowest position available.
I know it will be a lot of practice to go in all directions.
How did you transfer your design to the quilt top?
Thanks for all your help.

At first you may want to use quilting templates to mark the design on the quilt blocks or onto blocks that are a solid color by using any number of available marking pencils. Some use mechanical pencils, washable marking pens, chalk pens on dark colors, some pens fade off over night so only mark areas you can quilt immediately and there are pounce chalk bags that are used to mark the cut out lines on the stencils. You may also trace designs onto tracing, tissue or vellium paper and make your own stencils by transferring your designs to stencil plastic. There are also tutorials regarding sewing through the traced or drawn designs on the tracing type papers and then tear away after your sewn the design onto you quilt. Quilting Made Easy also makes marked stencil stripes for the borders as well as some block designs. You can find them online and order directly from them. I know this was a lot of information and probably confusing, I apologize. If you have any questions you can PM me and I'd be happy to help you. There are lots of new things to learn and of course you'll have questions. That's why we're here and only too happy to help where we can. Happy Quilting Always.

Andie, desertrose