View Single Post
Old 10-26-2011, 12:33 AM
k3n
Power Poster

I have to disagree with the advice to start by marking - I would say to work freehand, starting with a meander then once you have that smooth and even, start doodling in some patterns, simple to start with (flower shapes for eg). I would also try doodling on paper first - this doesn't work for everyone but it's worth a try because if it works for you it helps a lot - the drawing motion kind of 'locks' the design in your brain then you can translate it to FMQ.

I think it's MORE dificult to follow a drawn line than work freehand and also that it will limit you in the long run when you want to move on to working freehand, and if you get into FMQ you WILL. Do bear in mind that unless you are blessed with innate natural ability, you will need lots of PRACTICE so don't get disheartened if you can't get it right straight away. I have heard the ability to FMQ compared to learning to write - how long did that take you? :-D Good luck and presevere - for me, it has been the single most rewarding aspect of patchwork and quilting that I've learnt. :D