View Single Post
Old 10-26-2011, 03:13 AM
Yrnstr

1. I need solitude and silence as much as food, water and oxygen.

2. When I was a kid, the only way I could get bubble gum was if someone put it in my trick-or-treat bag. (My elders refused to provide me with any.)

3. I wish I could do Domino Knitting 24/7.

4. My version of doing a crossword puzzle is going to a Norwegian newspaper site and trying to figure out some of the shorter articles (I had 2 semesters of N. in school).

5. If I won a million dollars, I'd go live somewhere in the cool part of India (northwest) and work with orphans (including sewing and knitting them clothes).

6. I'm dying to find instructions for a small, frilly, life-like origami butterfly (I saw one in the Chinese movie "Yi-Yi" ).

7. When my mother occasionally switches from her usual Berliner German to stilted "High German," I feel like I'm on Mars, wearing a prickly burlap shirt. :lol:

8. I somehow learned to read by osmosis, without anyone teaching me, before I ever started school.

9. I'm fascinated by the fact that the Chinese word for stepmother and the Polish word for nanny are almost identical (bec. those 2 languages are from totally different linguistic groups, so the similarity points back to the original language).

10. I can never get enough of reading memoirs (or hearing elderly folks tell stories from their past), especially ones by Shoah survivors or people who grew up in poverty (for example Rick Braggs' "All Over But the Shoutin' ").