Old 10-26-2011, 05:07 AM
frauhahn

The big mystery in our family is my grandmother's mother-lots of scandal, there. Gr-gr grandfather was born illegitimate-baptised with only a first name, which he later changed. Then he took up a last name as well. Named his first 3 sons, who all took other names as adults. All left Quebec and followed my gr-grandmother to Michigan, where she had married a man with the same last name. They had 3 kids before he "disappeared", "drowned" or whatever. . . My grandmother and her brothers were taken away from the mother due to being left in a state of "want and neglect". Gr-gr went on to have at least 3 other chiildren, only one of which had a father on the birth certificate-and that one listed my gr-grandfather, who'd disappeared over a year before. When I went to the county building where the legal papers are held, I was offered yet another birth certificate that I hadn't expected-that of a baby born to a gr-gr uncle and aunt . Odd thing was, the aunt had been married at the time to a different uncle. She didn't marry the father until 9 years later! And around that time, everyone of them disappeared from the area and I only find rare tracks of them after that-the majority left no death certificates or anything that I've been able to find! The other sides of the family were all respectable farmers, and the funny thing was, my grandma was a very refined lady-hard to believe she was born into a family like that!