Old 10-26-2011, 06:43 AM
Diannia

Mom's side came from Germany in the late 1600's. Settled in SC then relocated to MO. Gr-gr-gr-grandfather built a house that my family still owns. He & wife had 12 kids. Some were in the Civil War but not my gr-gr-gr-grandfather. 1 of his brothers drowned on his way home after the war when his boat sank. Gr-gr uncle became deaf as an adult and was killed when he stepped off a train and another train was backing up and ran over him. He's buried in the family cemetery behind the house. His brother was killed at age 16 when he got kicked in the head by a horse. Gr-grandmother was the only one of the kids to have children so the house and property turned to her. She died when my grandmother was only 5. Gr-grandfather remarried to an "old maid" who was in her early 30's. They stayed on the farm until on of his sons was old enough to take it over then went to live in town. Mom found out after her grandparents died (they did a lot of her raising) that the man she had always thought was her dad wasn't (he had died when she was little so she didn't know him either). Uncles told her it was someone else and that grandma had just married the other guy. Grandma would never admit it even on her deathbed so my mom went to her grave never knowing the truth for sure.

Dad's side...still working on. I know one of my grandfather's (not sure how many greats back) was also killed by a train. He was picking up coal along the train tracks.

Stepdad's side-his mom died when he was just a yr old. She died from giving birth to his brother and also getting the flu at the same time. The brother was so little the dr said he wouldn't make it. They made him a bed in a wooden box and opened the woodburning stove door. Built a small fire and sat the box on the open door to keep him warm. He survived! Didn't ever amount to much but he lived!

Diannia