Old 10-26-2011, 07:16 AM
Charlee

I have a famous ghost! ;) :lol:

My g-g-g grandmother was Martha Ward Swycaffer. She and her sister were traveling and had stopped at the Valecito stage stop. Her sister was ill, and died there, her ghost haunts the stage stop.
http://www.prairieghosts.com/vallecito.html

She married Joseph Swycaffer, who himself was quite a character, and was a partner in the first mail service between Yuma, AZ and San Diego, CA. There is a story told of him that he was in route to San Diego when he was robbed by a band of renegade Indians. They took the mail and his horse and mules, leaving him in the desert to die. He made it back to Yuma, and after he recovered from the heat and dehydration, borrowed a horse and went after them. He found them having a heyday with the mail sacks, and chased them off, got his mail sacks and animals back and continued to deliver the mail.

William's side has a story that's a lot more fun!! His 9th great grandparents were Japhet and Deborah Leeds. They are the parents of the Legendary "Jersey Devil". Supposedly, when Deborah became pregnant with their 13th child, she got angry, saying, "I've already given him 12 children, I'd sooner give birth to the spawn of the devil than to give him another!" She shouldn't have said that! :lol:
The child was born with horns and cloven hooves, killed the midwife and ran off to the woods. It became known as the Jersey Devil.