Old 10-26-2011, 12:49 PM
arimuse

can't believe you posted this! I just now started making ice creams/ sherbets in an icream maker I have. (you freeze the container then put it together , turn it on, and in @ half an hr have your ice cream)

Have made 2 batches of sherbet. For lime use 3 limes, save the zest, squeeze the juice out, measure it and add water to make a total of 2 cups. add to pan with 1 cup real sugar, heat to just boiling, stirrng, add zest, cook to clear about 6 min. Cool to cold in fridge, stir in 1 lightly beat egg white, put in freezer, make.

so, the generic formula is:
fruit juice + water to make 2 cups total
1 cup white sugar (must be real, this is what keeps your sherbet from freezing into an ice cube - just like antifreeze, sugar doesnt freeze.)
zest from any citrus fruits added to pot
heat to boil, then cook about 6 min. Chill this to cold
1 egg white, lightly beaten to just a foam, stir into chilled liquid, pour all into ice cream maker. (egg white helps keep the sherbet from getting grainy)

You can make any flavor sherbet from any fruit you can get liquid from. I made orange last night from some orange juice I had in the fridge. Once the icecream maker is done you need to scrape the stuff into a container and put in freezer to harden off.
this is delicious and has no weird ingredients, just fruit juice, water and sugar and eggwhite. sharet