Old 10-26-2011, 01:20 PM
jljack

Originally Posted by pennijanine
Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
Originally Posted by kwendt
Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
Don't want to use rubbing alcohol - messes up the finish. Ask me how I know :roll:

On my FW, I used Goop carefully to clean, then sewing machine oil to protective coat it. My FW had been obviously sitting unused for 30+ years when I got it, so it's been sitting now for a month - just breathing, relaxing. I'll go back and re-oil the mechanics and Liquid Gold the exterior when I go to use it.

Other's have suggested careful use of TR-3 Resin Glaze (a car product), but have said to be really careful not to get it on the decals. I hear tell it fills in hairline cracks and buffs up to a 'clear coat' type shine... but I haven't personally tried it yet.
My Featherweight had somehow acquired a stickiness to her finish. Like she had been sprayed with hairspray that set. Tried water. Tried small amount of soap with water. Hmmm...what cuts through stickiness...out came the rubbing alcohol. Dumb. Now she has a dull finish. After having her 30+years in great shape. Oh, and still sticky in places. *sigh*
QCG, try rubbing some mayo on the sticky portions. I don't know how it works, but it DOES! And it is oily, so should help it to shine too. I use mayo to get wood pitch off my hands!
Probably the vegetable oil in it that works!!