Old 07-24-2009, 09:01 AM
Rhonda
Power Poster

Originally Posted by billswife99
Thanks for posting this Rhonda. I have been quilting about 3 years now and still worry about my mistakes and there is a lot of them! But I'm starting to realize that mine go to family. And my family doesn't even know what it means to cut off points or how many stitches per inch are considered good. So with each quilt, I try not to point out my mishaps. What they don't know won't hurt them. Still, it doesn't stop me from being too hard on myself, but I do feel better knowing I'm not the only one!

I love your pot holders by the way!! What do you use for batting? Is there something heat proof?
Oh I could (and did consider it but decided to keep it to myself) point out al the flaws in the bear's paws I posted at the same time i posted this. I can see them and the only thing to me is that the flaws affect how square it ends up. That is important to me to make it come out to be a pleasing picture.
But each quilter has a differant level of what is acceptable or not to her or him. We are individuals afterall.
I happen to have inherited a streak(small one mind you that does not include my housework!) of perfectionism that means i have to make it the best I can or die trying!!!!
Anyway yes there are heat resistant products you can use. I think Joanns has one. I don't use them because the expense would be too high to sell my products.
I use a traditional batting made by Fairfield Co. It is a poly-fil and I use two layers. When I first starting making these to sell -the lady I sell to and I discussed the differant battings and I tried differant things. This is the one that we felt was thick enough to not burn your hand but yet not too thick as to look too bulky. It is a somewhat dense layer that is denser than a low loft batting but is still light enough to quilt well.
I use it in everything I do. Here is a sample of it.
I get mine at Walmart but if you don't have a Walmart fabric dept I saw it at Hobby Lobby the other day. I have seen it online also but can't tell you where right now.

Attached Thumbnails attachment-34994.jpe