View Single Post
Old 10-26-2011, 03:07 PM
deemail

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
Originally Posted by galvestonangel
Definitely fix it. I hope someone can estimate the age, I'm not that nowledgable
once any NEW work is done to it..the OLD age won't matter..it will be considered a quilt made in 2011! The fabrics however are from different decades. Mainly 60's. Some also appear to not be 100% cotton, but a poly blend.
This is true in some cases, but not all....the term restoration refers to a method to repairing that uses only period fabrics and techniques. This is why so many of us are suggesting the removal of one or more rows to use those fabrics to repair the center area. This does not affect the original value (which is not a great consideration in this quilt's case)...and you are right, the newest fabric in the quilt is the date of the quilt, but the majority of the fabrics in the quilt pictured are from the 40s (small florals and overall calicos) and 50s (the geometrics).... the sashing, batting and possibly backing are from the 60s. I think it is possible the backing was purchased earlier, which is a common thing to have happened in the old days... people bought the thread, and backing and stored them with the blocks...I have two family quilts that were done like that, the blocks, the batting, the thread and a free thimble (with store advertisement) were all in the box together. (backing and thread were $2.30 in the 20s)