View Single Post
Old 07-24-2009, 09:56 AM
Roben

Shemjo, come on out and play! The practice really helps, and when I work on a big quilt I secure it around the blocks with the walking foot - so the areas on a big quilt that get free motioned aren't much different in size than the practice pieces anyway :wink:

Diana, it's so funny you mentioned the pressure foot :D I have 2 machines, one electronic that doesn't even have a pressure foot lever and the other one more manual with one. I was playing last night on the second one and kept getting that *beep* - darn pressure foot lever!!!

I tried the gloves, and just couldn't get them to feel comfortable to me. I've tried the 'halo' thing that came in the quilting kit for my machine - love that, but the stitching area is small so every time I get on a roll I have to stop and move it :cry:

I'm finding it helpful to keep a stack of practice pieces, so I can pick one up easily and play a little each day or two. At least changing the foot out isn't a major production (I hate putting on the walking foot; the darning foot is much easier for me.) Melissa, you're absolutely right; a little time away, and it's almost as bad as starting over!

Chris, that's not much different than marking or sewing around a paper template - except that it is re-usable! Love that idea!!

I'm going to practice the curli-Q's more this afternoon - I'm going for wind, since it's a Halloween project. Hubby doesn't know it, but dinner's gonna be take out (and he's lucky I'm leaving the sewing room at all :lol: :lol: )