View Single Post
Old 10-26-2011, 04:23 PM
Prism99
Power Poster

Originally Posted by carolaug
That sounds like a great idea! Can you post a picture of it?
Originally Posted by Prism99
My sister finished one using a decorative stitch over all of the seams. Looks beautiful! The fabric and batting were unwashed, and the batting was Warm and Natural. Thread was Aurifil variegated 40 wt.
She lives an hour away, but I'll try to remember to take a photo the next time I go over. My sister has some cognitive deficits and FMQ would be extremely difficult for her. We tried out several decorative stitches on her Pfaff before deciding on one. It made her "gaffes" on the stitching not at all obvious, even when she wandered a little from the seam or didn't free up the sandwich to move freely forward.

The lighter weight of Aurifil really helps when using a decorative stitch, as it doesn't stiffen the quilting line. Variegated also helps camouflage mistakes. The only thing is that a decorative stitch takes longer for the machine to sew, so you move down a line much more slowly. Next time I think we will choose a stitch that is not quite as elaborate, so it goes a little faster. Some people like to use a serpentine stitch for SID, and we might try that. Serpentine moves side to side over the seam so you don't have to sweat staying *exactly* on or along the seamline.

The back of my sister's quilt is really lovely because it has the tumbler pattern in decorative stitching.