Old 07-24-2009, 12:22 PM
Butterflyspain

Originally Posted by suzic46
Originally Posted by tlrnhi
Originally Posted by suzic46
Hi all, I'm really struggling with a center, I want to do a new technique like applique and a landscape, but I seem to keep falling back on the traditional where it's safer. Anyone have any suggestions or ideas as to how you came up with your centers? I sure could use the help. Thanks. :-)
The first round robin I did, was just a plain center, pieced blocks.
The one I have going now, that is almost home, is just a flower appliqued with a hummingbird that I saw and liked.
The one I'm working on now, hoping to get done is from a fabric postcard that Izy sent me. There's a picture a few pages back, I think.

I don't really think you should stress over this. What you COULD do is...just make a pretty block center (pieced). Send that out for this one. Then...work on the applique/landscape one for the next round robin that will come along and THERE WILL be another!
Your hummingbird idea is great, I love hummingbirds. You're right I'll put together some nice colors and traditional patchwork, but I'm also going to go ahead and try the landscape as well and see if I can get them done by the deadline. Thanks for your help.
Another idea, You know a really lovely panel is super if you line it and then on the pieces you want to stand out. Sew round the piece you want to stand out with very tiny stiches and then slit the back fabric and stuff it (like trapuno), if you do your outline in gold stitching it looks fab. A friend of mine is doing a japanese panel like this. and its not hard to do.

Elle