Old 10-26-2011, 07:10 PM
QuiltswithConvicts

Originally Posted by Cre8tvlwyr
Bonny Hunter has loads of ideas for what to do with extra fabric stash! her website is: http://www.quiltville.com

NoraG and a few others... don't be worried about keeping up with 3 blocks a week. Remember these are only 4 1/2" blocks [eeek??] don't let the small pieces scare you either. There will be lots of support from your friends on the board here. There are also tutorials available online that will help & Brenda P [the creator of the patterns & book author] has wonderful tips on her site. I took part in a dear Jane block swap last winter and was able to sew 12 of a couple of the simpler blocks in just a couple of hours. I did pick a more challenging one to do and was glad a few people dropped out of our swap because I was able to cut back on the number of blocks to sew [but that was still done in less than a week and I was watching two grandchildren full time at the time.]

The last group had 4-5 scheduled weekly and many were able to keep up. I will look at the other sites that have a schedule and also rework the last list so that we start with only beginner levels and ease into the more difficult ones, keeping some of the easier blocks for later as well.

You can also decide to do it Jane Stickle's way - totally by hand. [not I] but I do have to share with you that my friend Mary who I am in a mini-quilt group with shared 30 or so of her Dear Jane blocks done totally by hand. The pieces are small enough where it doesn't become an ominous task - but you can relax while watching tv with DH. the finished product of a totally hand done quilt is truly so much softer [not that I will do it!! :roll: ] I love the look of the quilting @ the green fairy blog site & keep going back. There are other uses for my civil war fabrics, right?
I hand pieced my Jane's Journey & am now hand quilting her.