Old 10-26-2011, 07:47 PM
GingerK

No one famous, but my paternal Great Grandfather married at 19 to a young lady of the same age, who died of consumption 2 years later--no children. Great Grandfather then married an older widow with 2 children (guess he wanted a woman he KNEW would 'produce'--which she did--10 children-- and then she died. He then married a sweet young thing the same age as his oldest surviving daughter (18 years old) who had 8 children by him.

My Great Grandfather died at 64, while his wife was pregnant with their youngest child.

Now for the (to me) interesting part. All of this happened in Minnesota (My family immigrated from Germany/Russia to Minnesota in the late 1800's) My Great Grandmother and her father took her children and moved to the prairies of Canada around 1900, in a covered wagon. She lost 2 little girls to diptheria on the trip. My Granddad was her third youngest and her homestead--20 mile from where I was raised--still exists.

My DH's father was first generation Canadian of Austrian parents. He joined the Canadian Army during WW11 and was detached from his own unit, to serve as an interpretor for one of the first units to secure a beach-head on Juno landing on D-Day. He never ever talked about that day.